Monday, March 05, 2007

Twittering

I'm been assimilated into the world of twitter. Thanks to the encouragement of Jen, Doug and Andy. I decided to check out this new form of web-base communication over the weekend. All I can say now is that I'm addicted!
The best way I've found to describe twitter is that it's similar to a party line on your Instant Messenger system. Dozens, if not hundreds, of your best Internet friends tell you what they are through out the day and get to hear about your day. It's like reading dozens of 20 word romance novels all day long.
CC Chapman recently wrote about the ways industry can use twitter to reach new audiences but he didn't touch on the educational aspects of twittering. As many of you know I teach both traditional, on-campus, courses as well was online classes and I use a variety of tools to communicate with my students such as chat, discussion boards, email and the good 'ol phone. With twitter I can combine several technologies into one and work more effectively. Instead of stopping what I'm doing; check email, then the discussion boards, maybe post an announcement to a particular class, check voicemail, I can fire up Google Talk and when a student needs to contact me he or she can send me a quick question through the twitter system and the message will pop up on my desktop. The only drawback I can see is that my students will need to create a twitter account and possible set it up with a IM client to achieve the best results. Also I will still need to post information on the other technologies I use for my classes so that I can reach all of my students and I think I need to accounts, one for my students and work and then another for my personal life. But for a quick and dirty means of communication I think twitter will work well.
If anybody wants to twitter me, create an account and add ccadenhead to your friends list. Be warned twittering is addictive! ;)