Wednesday, March 21, 2007

American Idol and iTunes as a Learning Tool

One of my family's guilty pleasures is watching American Idol. I'm not sure why we watch it besides that watching it helps us keep up with the workplace conversions. Though the wife and I do enjoying hearing older tunes and songs that we grew up with and Idol does tend to focus on this type of music. Kids enjoy hearing the singing.
This weekend after some pleading, the kids and I spent some time on iTunes listening to 30 second segments of Diana Ross songs. The kids where so energetic about it, wanting to buy most of Ross's music. After I gave in and purchased several songs the house, and neighborhood, was filled with singing from those two. I think I heard "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" several hundred times.
Say what you will, but without sources like Idol and iTunes my children would have missed out on being exposed to some really great older music and I would have never thought of going through iTunes with the two of them. We're on iTunes all the time but not focusing on older music. If they had not asked me look up Diana Ross I would have never thought to use iTunes to expose them to wonderful and under played music.
Next weekend we will dive into Bob Dylan. Bob and AJ 81 gave me that one. We'll see how it goes...