Friday, April 13, 2007

Being PAID for something you love

I'm getting tired of the worn out debate over monetizing podcast. There will always be podcasts who want to get paid for podcasting and podcasters who podcast as a hobby. Undoubtedly the hobbyist will always out-number the paid professionals. Below is my two cents on this debate. I originally posted this at Mark Blevis' blog in response to some negative comments he received over an excellent posting about "How to Make Money Podcasting." Feel free to agree or disagree with me, I don't care, but I do think it's time we hang up this old argument for good.

If you get paid for something you love, something that you would do anyway (and I'm not talking about podcasting now) would it still be "just a job?"
In my essence I am a teacher, I will always be a teacher, no matter what my current job is. It doesn't matter if I'm being paid or not, I have to teach. Some part of me is not fulfilled if I'm not teaching. With that said, and boy was it whiny, shouldn't I be "allow" to be paid for something I'm good at? Should loving something you do or doing something that starts as a hobby, automatically exclude you from being paid?
I don't hear debates about monetizing teaching, or auto mechanics. Something that starts as a hobby can become a part-time or full-time job or even a career.
What makes a "job" a "job" isn't that you are getting paid, it's a profession that you don't love or even like. It's just something to pay the bills. A career or calling is something that you love that you would do even if you were not paid for it. If there are podcasters out there who can make money at this why penalize them if they choose to monetize? Again, we don't expect teachers to teach for free or computer programmers to write code for free, so why do we expect podcasters to podcast for free?!?!?