Thursday, February 01, 2007

Today's My Birthday!

Yeap, 37 years ago today I was hatched, I mean born. For the past several years I have had a little personal custom of buying myself a birthday gift, usual something I wanted but didn't receive as a gift. Yes, I know I'm shallow. In 2004 I purchased my photo iPod as a gift to myself and last year it was a new pair of hiking boots. This year I thought I would buy myself something a little different. I don't know where the idea came from, probably a podcast, but I decided to give a charitable donation instead of getting some trinket for myself.

After some thought regarding the organization I wanted to donate to I decided on Escape Pod. Yes, maybe it was another superficial decision, I mean Steve Eley is not curing cancer over there. But our family already gives money to groups like Rails-to-Trails and our local children's hospital. Being a science fiction nut I have really enjoyed the stories I've heard on Escape Pod and I respect what Steve is doing, for literature, with his podcast. Besides giving has it's own rewards, such as a warm feeling inside. See I'm not so depthless after all. ;)