Monday, January 08, 2007

The Art of Disclosure

There has been some discussion at the Yahoo Podcasting Forums about the degree to which podcasters should disclosure certain information, like sponsorship and network affiliations. The arguments have been quite persuasive for all schools of thought, which got me to think about how much information podcasters share with their listeners when it's too much.
Podcasting has, at least, one unique quality going for it and that's a special rapport between the podcast host and the podcast listener. Though podcasting I have made friends with people from AZ to Canada, who 6 months ago where complete strangers. It's a wonderful feeling being able to discuss topics ranging from pop culture to politics with these new peers.
This familiarity does have a dark side though. It is possible to tell too much information and to possibly spoil a budding friendship.
I stepped over a line, an imaginary and invisible line, when I asked another podcast a question regarding there show. I tried to pose the question as respectfully and as honestly as possible but the other party didn't see it that way when they replied to my question with a multiple point retort of how wrong I was.
I had assumed that this other podcaster and I were friends and that they would understand that I was asking a question for clarification and not out of nastiness. My familiarity with them was assumed and I thought there was more to this association then there really was.
Podcasting has made great strides in giving individuals a voice and by bringing people, of all nationalities, together. But when one party assumes too much it's bound to get dirty and mean.